Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thrift Store Junkie

Hey everyone! Happy St. Patty’s Day! Hope everyone gets to kiss the blarney stone or their favorite Irishman! I married one, so “check!” as my girls like to say. Every day when we leave the house they say Mommy, “did you brush your teeth, take a shower?” And I say “check, check” and then I ask them if they brushed their teeth, went to the potty, etc., so they can say “check, check!” They are funny!

I thought I would share a little obsession that I have today. My name is Deidre and I am a thrift store-aholic! When the girls go to preschool, I go thrifting! I haven’t bought clothes in a regular store since I can remember. Half the time at the thrift stores I find things that still have the tags on them!!! One reason I love it is that all the clothes have been shrunk and washed already (except for the new stuff obviously) and the way they fit, is the way they will stay, which I love. I also love looking through all the knick knacks from the seventies and old furniture to see what I could save and update . It is a very entertaining and cheap way to spend the afternoon! I always get the girls kids books from the stores and they are always excited to see what I have found for them after school. Matty always asks if I went to the thrift stores! You may remember the oval mirror I decorated at Christmas:

http://stampindipitybydeidre.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-in-california.html

That was a great find from the Salvation Army. Today I am heading to the Goodwill in Pacific Beach and Oceanside which are pretty ritzy areas so who knows what I will find! I think being a thrift store junkie is a genetic trait I inherited from my Mother, she is a professional at it and I am proud to carry on the tradition!

Here is a great looking cake recipe in honor of St Patty's Day from my stamping friend Kerry's blog. Doesn't it look yummy? I am definitely trying this soon! Alcohol and cake, sounds like something special!

http://threecloversdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/03/baileys-irish-cream-cake.html

On to some papercrafting…I have a couple of cards from the new Friends 24-7 set to show you today. I really love this set and the new decorator papers that SU has out. This one is called delicate dots and you can earn it free for the rest of this month by placing a $50 order. I made a couple of different versions because after I made the first one I wanted to turn down the paper and show off the other side using the great eyelet border punch!

march 004

march 003

Both cards use Sahara Sand paper and inks with So Saffron marker for the flowers. I love how soft and pretty these colors are together. A little sponging around the edges softens it all up and there you have it. Once again that eyelet punch is the main player! For some reason I find it much easier to use than the scallop edge punch. I always end up with one pointy scallop but this one, I get right every time!

Hope you are all well..go check out a thrift store today and have a green beer!!

Ciao for now! Deidre

No comments: