Sunday, August 23, 2009

I. AM. JUST. DISGUSTED!

Some of you have heard this story by now and some of you haven’t so for those that have, I am sorry but I still can’t get over it and I have to put it down in words. When we moved to California last year, all the bedrooms in the house were smaller than our home in Georgia, which is fine, but I had a huge desk that I used for my crafting, that was just TOO big. So I sold it on Craig’s List, and it was a beast getting down those stairs, let me tell you. Since then, I have been using two tables in a L shape. I loved the L shape and it gave me great workable area, so I started looking for an L shaped desk. The heavens opened and I found the perfect desk….the Ashley Brush Hollow Desk…see here:

desk

But alas, the price on this bad boy was way too much for me at $1200 before taxes. Yikes! I am just a stay at home Mom, with a limping along stamping business, that at this point is still in a loss situation ever year! No good! I just kept going in every once in a while and VOILA! around Thanksgiving found out they were having a great sale at the Ashley store. I was able to get the desk (without the hutch, which I really wanted) for around $500, so I was excited about it but the timing wasn’t perfect so I thought...maybe for my Christmas present. Went back at Christmas and they refused to give me the same price...said it is only a sale at Thanksgiving.

I was appalled. I said “in this horrible economy, you won’t sell the desk for the same price that you quoted me a month ago?” They said NOPE! So went home without a desk, again. Imagine my surprise when the same desk of my dreams appeared at the Military Base furniture store! Score! Now I was excited! Price was the same but now, no taxes! And I know military base stores...that sucker would go on sale one of these days.

So I waited and waited and waited! I checked every time I went to base to get groceries…run in, no sale, leave. I searched online, hoping I could get emails or something when they have a sale but the Marine Corps store doesn’t send out flyers like AAFES does. So I just kept checking knowing, one day, it would be mine! I would have drawers again! You can only imagine my horror when I walked in on Friday (after almost a year people!) and didn’t see the desk in the corner…. instant panic. I saw they had put in a clearance room and I thought it will surely be there….nope, no desk. I asked the salesclerk about it and she said, “oh, we sold all of those last week.” AACCCKK! NO! NO! NO! She said it went on sale for $800 last Wednesday, and they sold one, then on Thursday it went on sale for $500 (including hutch!) and they sold the last 4 including the floor model. The guy who had bought it for $800 told his friends and they all came in and got it for $500.

Seriously, you guys, I thought I was going to vomit in the store. A year of my time on this damn desk and I miss it by a week. The guy who paid $800 tried to return it and get the difference back, but they wouldn’t do it, and he opted to keep it rather than return it and not get it back. Smart guy! So I am just disgusted! I thought, “I will just check Ashley again.” Went over there (it is actually just across the street from the base). Desk is there, price is still the same (plus taxes now, of course) The salesgirl says we had a sale that ended yesterday, but I can’t give you that price now. I could get you about 12% off if you want, which means $1000 plus tax. I said no thanks and walked away broken hearted AGAIN. I really wanted those drawers and the hanging file drawer and a place to hide all my goodies, so my room doesn’t look like a bomb went off every day. Oh well. Such is life.

Maybe I will get a good price on it this Thanksgiving, but I am not holding my breath. I am seriously disgusted about the whole thing. A little word of warning if you shop Ashley...we bought our couch and ottomon there too. Those guys aren’t kidding about their return policy. We tried to return the ottomon on day 5 after receiving it (they have a 3 day return policy) I had decided I wanted something less matchy matchy. No way Jose, would they let me return it. I talked to everyone. I didn’t want my money back I just wanted to exchange it and nope, no go. So if you do buy something from them…you better decide yay or nay in the first three days!

Well obviously, I haven’t gotten over it yet but I am sure in time I will. I keep checking Craig’s list praying that someone bought it just to resell and make some money, but no luck so far. Total and complete bummer I tell ya!

Here are some more pics from convention with lots of cool ideas though....enjoy!!!

convention 017

stencil on the walls surrounded by empty frames..cool huh?

convention 018

loved this card..the beer mugs have crystal effects on them so they are all shiny and three dimensional…

convention 024

magnet board for whose in the doghouse..loved this!

convention 026

new stamp from the holiday mini catalog which is ready to be inked on my desk right now!!!

convention 034

Amy and I doing our make and takes. This is what my desk looks like on regular basis, drawers people...I could have had drawers!

convention 073

convention 074

Halloween display, so cute!

Cute framed art…

convention 050

convention 057

Gingerbread house..love it!

Ciao for now…….Deidre!

1 comment:

Amy Watson said...

Wowsers D...that SUCKS! So sorry to hear this.